Maple Sugaring 2009

My interest in sugaring roots back to my childhood when, as a family, we would tapped a few trees on our propertie.  We would collected the sap into gallon milk jugs, then boil the sap on our kitchen stove. In 2007 my wife and I tried a similar approach to sugaring which ended up not being very fruitful (it did make the house smell nice though).

In the spring of 2009 I decided that I would like to try to make enough syrup for our family for the year (~3 gallons), so I tapped 20 trees on my uncle’s land (previously my maternal grandparent’s land) into metal buckets in South Royalton.  After the first day of boiling on a propane cook stove without producing any syrup, I decided that I needed to do something different. I spoke with a friend (Frank) and found that he had been wanting to sugar his land for years. We (mostly Frank) quickly put together an arch from an old coal furnace and used two of Frank’s grandfathers old 2’x2′ boiling pans. Frank then put in another 20 taps on his property which took our total to 40 taps. We went on to make around 13 gallons of syrup with the help of some friends and family (Sam, and Lyndon).